There are a lot of great TVs for gaming on the market right now. OLEDs and QLEDs offer the highest quality features for gaming and multi-purpose use. Typical features you’ll see across the board include 4K Resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, Variable Refresh Rate, Image Upscaling, Dolby Vision, Game Mode, Bluetooth connectivity, Wi-Fi compatibility, HDMI 2.1, and HDR.
In this article, we’ll give you our choices for the best gaming TVs of 2023, definitions of terms you need to know, and choices for TVs depending on which console you’re gaming on.
Our Picks for the Best Gaming TVs for 2023
- Samsung 55″ S90C OLED 4K Smart TV Series
- LG 65″ evo C3 4K OLED Smart TV
- LG 65″ B3 Series OLED 4K UHD Smart TV
- TCL 65″ Class Q6 4K QLED HDR Smart TV
- Sony BRAVIA XR 65″ A80L OLED 4K HDR Smart TV
- Sony BRAVIA XR 65″ Class X93L Series Mini LED 4K HDR Smart TV
Keep reading to learn more about their features, what they mean, and what you should consider when shopping for a gaming TV.
What to Look for in a Gaming TV
If you’re shopping for a gaming TV for the first time, there are a lot of terms that make product descriptions and features look like another language. Here is a list of terms you’ll see when shopping for gaming TVs and their definitions.
Essential Features for Gaming TVs
- ALLM – auto low latency mode is a setting that automatically changes your TV’s display from high picture quality to low latency mode when it detects input from a game console.
- Backlight LED Layers – Only in QLEDs. The backlight sends light through the organic quantum dots to emit different colors while reducing reflections on the screen.
- Black Equalizer/Black Stabilization – Used for games that have lots of darker areas and hiding spots. This setting can be adjusted per player preference and can be helpful when trying to track down targets in shadowy areas.
- Display Type – Generally you’ll find this in the name of the TV. The latest generation of TVs best suited for gaming include OLED, QLED, and LED.
- Game Mode – Removes some layers of post-processing to guarantee an improvement in input latency (lag).
- HDMI 2.1 Inputs – Allows support for variable refresh rate, auto low latency mode, and increased data processing bandwidth.
- HDR Performance – Stands for High Dynamic Range. HDR means the TV displays a wider range between the darkest and lightest sections of the image.
- Low input lag/Latency – For highly competitive gaming where input lag is key. But for your casual gamers and solo players, you won’t need to worry about it too much.
- Screen Resolution – This is the measure of how many pixels are in the TV’s display. These days, 4K TVs are the most popular resolution on the market and have 3840 x 2160 pixels. Older HD TVs offered resolutions of 1920 x 1080. And newer 8K TVs offer 7680 x 4320.
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) – A solution for screen tearing. VRR is an automatic image processing mode that allows the display to adjust its refresh rate to the frame rate of your device.
Overall Best Gaming TV 2023
The Samsung 55″ Class OLED S90C is the best overall TV for gaming. It offers all of the bells and whistles of 4K and OLED imaging, so you can experience HDR, ALLM, and smooth motion processing. The self-emissive backlit screen fights glare and reflections so you can still see a clear high-contrast picture even in a bright room. The S90C series also has four HDMI 2.1 ports for processing 4K content at a 144Hz refresh rate which makes response times feel nearly instant.
The S90C series is available in 55″, 65″, 77″, and 83″ size classes.
Best 4K TVs for Gaming By Console
Best TV for Gaming 4K on XBOX Series X/S
Delivers full support for the XBOX Series X/S console including Dolby Vision. The LG C3 series offers full 4K support, OLED HDR, ALLM, and superlative image quality without burn-in or screen tearing. The C3 series also works well for movies, so it’s also a great option if you have your XBOX in the living room and use it for more than just gaming.
During gaming sessions, the display offers exceptional responsiveness, great levels of peak brightness, and smooth handling of motion.
The LG C3 is available in 42″, 48″, 55″, 65″, 77″, and 83″ sizes.
Another option that offers the top features among OLEDs is the Sony A80L. Not only does it offer exceptional image quality and contrast when gaming and watching movies. The image processing and upscaling for lower-res content is also good. And it’s a Sony product, so it works perfectly with a PS5 if you’re a multi-console gamer.
Available sizes: 55″, 65″, 77″, and 83″ sizes.
Best TV for Gaming on PS5
The X93L is part of Sony’s line of “Perfect for PS5” TVs so it includes some extra features exclusive to the PS5. Auto HDR Tone Mapping automatically optimizes its settings to create high contrast for PS5 gaming. It also offers ALLM depending on if you’re gaming or watching a movie, so you don’t have to change the settings manually.
This series of TVs, like other mini-LED TVs, offers nearly perfect contrast. The backlights can get very bright, so if you’re going for perfect contrast this model performs best in a dark or dim room. If you’re entertaining a crowd or doing couch co-op like with Baldur’s Gate 3, this TV has a decent viewing angle before showing color shift or color washout.
Finally, if you play older games not made for 4K, this TV has auto 4K upscaling.
Available sizes for this model are 65″, 75″, and 85″.
Does PS5 Support Dolby Vision?
Note that as of October 2023, PS5 does not support Dolby Vision. So, if you’re buying a TV just to match your PS5, you don’t need to worry about it. Sony has not mentioned adding support for Dolby Vision on the PS5, but you never know. And of course, you might want to use other consoles or media players that can take advantage of that support.
Best TV for Gaming on Switch
The Nintendo Switch is unique when compared with the PS5 and the XBOX Series X/S because the Switch does not offer 4K output. However, OLEDs are still the best type of TV for gaming. You may not see the same crisp lines in image quality when gaming on a Switch, but the overall color depth and vibrance can make Switch games shine.
This TV also has our vote for the best budget 4K TV for gaming, on top of our choice for gaming on Switch.
The TCL Q6 series offers a colorful display that can make Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Pikmin 4, or The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom really pop after re-calibration.
On top of 4K resolution, the Q650G offers an impressive 120Hz refresh rate at 1080p and 1440p resolutions. Input lag is impressively low, so it’s a great model to use for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate either casually or at a tournament level.
Like other QLEDs, the Q650G offers ALLM, HDR, Dolby Vision support, 4K upscaling, and VRR. And if you have multiple consoles, then this TV is a great way to experience 4K gaming without breaking the bank.
You can find this series of TVs in 55″, 65″, 75″ and 85″ sizes.
Best Bright Room TV for Gaming
Yet again, the LG C3 appears on this list. This TV has all the great features of other OLEDs on the market but outperforms when in a bright room. Overall, it handles glare reflections while still letting bright zones contrast with the deepest blacks. And if you’re looking to use a TV as a monitor, this TV offers built-in VRR support for graphics cards like NVIDIA.
Sizes Available: 42″, 48″, 55″, 65″, 77″, and 83″.
Buying a Gaming TV in 2023
Overall, the flagship models of TVs from each manufacturer will offer roughly the same features with small differences in performance. It can be hard to navigate which models are right for your gaming style if you’re not familiar with TV language or without seeing the TV in person.
We hope this guide will help you when looking at your options for the best 4K gaming TVs this year.
For All Things TV, Shop Electronic Express
Electronic Express has stores throughout Tennessee and in Northern Alabama. If you’re in the area and looking for the perfect TV to game on, come see us and our store associates will be happy to help you.
Keep an eye out for great TV deals. We update our sales weekly and offer industry-leading prices on all the best TVs.