You don’t have to follow complicated Halloween coffee recipes to make your daily coffee taste more like fall. Getting that festive flavor can be as easy as adding a dash of spice and a couple of teaspoons of flavored syrup. Of course, it’s your personal fall brew, so you can make it as over-the-top as you want!
You’ll notice this post is not just a list of recipes, there are a few, but in this post, we’re going to go over general fall flavors and how you can combine them so you can make the perfect brew this fall.
How to add any kind of flavor to your coffee with flavored syrups to make it fall-flavored.
Table of Contents
- Mix-ins For Fall Coffee
- Let’s Brew Some Fall Magic
- Coffee-Making Tools for Your Next Brew
How To Make Your Own Fall Coffee Recipes
Use this list as a reference to help you stir up your own magical cup of coffee this season. Save this list to inspire your next morning mug!
As a rule of thumb, you’ll only want to use 2 to 3 syrups or sweeteners to let all of the flavors shine through. You don’t want to mix all of these ingredients at once…unless you want to. We can’t stop you. Or if you have a specific theme you’re going for, add all the flavors you want!
Grind With Your Coffee Beans
Plenty of fall mixed grounds are available to buy this time of year. (One recommended to us is Alma Coffee’s otoño roast.) But you’re here to blend up your own fall flavors. Grind up these ingredients with your coffee beans to infuse it with your own take on fall flavors.
- Hazelnut – Reduces coffee’s natural bitterness and smooths it out with roasted, earthy tones.
- Pecan – When ground into a brew, they bring out nutty and buttery flavors.
- Cinnamon sticks – A classic fall spice. Throw in a cinnamon stick as you grind your coffee for an instant fall boost.
- Nutmeg – Add to your coffee grind for a spicy, earthy flavor with a touch of sweetness.
- Anise – Sweet and licorice-y. Pair it with cloves and cinnamon for a full-bodied flavor.
- Cloves – Spicy and aromatic. A great choice to grind into your next batch of coffee.
Spices To Brew With Your Coffee (Or Sprinkle In)
Throw these fall spices into your brew to add more delicious flavors as your coffee brews. Or if you just need a dash of flavor, sprinkle these into your mug when your brew is ready.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice, or Pumpkin Spice: Ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, (sometimes cloves). Warm, toasty, and comfortingly spicy.
- Gingerbread Spice – Ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Similar to pumpkin spice, it’s earthy, spicy, and aromatic.
- Cinnamon – sweet, spicy, and earthy. An essential spice for fall.
Syrups and Flavorings to Add to Your Mug
Sweeten, enrich, or top your brew with these flavors. Create that coffee shop quality by using flavored syrups, making your own simple syrup, or adding in as a creamer.
- Vanilla – smooth, classic, and blends well with anything.
- Maple – Unique, bright, woodsy, and with notes of light caramel. Adds sweetness and coziness.
- Butterscotch – Warm and sweet. Pair it with caramel or brown sugar. Perfect for a super sweet treat.
- Caramel – Rich, warm, and slightly nutty. Adds depth to any flavor pair without overpowering it.
- Orange – Bright, acidic, and sweet. Sounds like an odd choice, but pair it with cinnamon and cloves for a spicy-sweet brew.
- Apple – Bright, sweet, and crisp. You can’t go wrong with adding cinnamon and brown sugar for a classic apple pie flavor.
- Pecan – Buttery, nutty, and sweet. Add it as a syrup with caramel flavors.
- Hazelnut – Toasty, nutty, and earthy. Pairs well with brighter maple, smooth vanilla, or warm caramel syrup.
You can’t make a latte without milk. Here are the flavors and froth qualities of each milk to help you mix up a perfect cup.
- Oat milk – Slightly nutty but also sweet. Accentuates the nuttiness of hazelnut and compliments warm fall spices. Froths, but doesn’t hold foam as well as dairy milk.
- Almond milk – Strongly nut flavored and slightly sweet. Much harder to froth than dairy milk, but can be done.
- Whole milk – Hands down the best milk for frothing. Makes rich and creamy foam. Although, can take longer to froth compared to 2%.
- 2% milk – A good replacement for whole milk. Foams slightly faster than whole milk.
- Skim milk – Watery but smooth. Some people find it makes foam with larger bubbles.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Thick and rich caramel-like sweetness. Too thick to foam in volume, but great for adding flavor and sweetness.
White sugar is a staple for morning coffee, but try replacing it with these sugars for a depth of flavor.
- Brown sugar – Rich, deep, and hearty. Adds sweetness and depth for a home-cooked, cozy flavor profile.
- Turbinado sugar – A richer sugar with a hint of caramel-y molasses flavor.
Let’s Brew Some Fall Magic
Now that we know what we’re working with, here are a few recipes we’ve conjured up so you can make a cozy, or spooky, fall brew.
Maple Cinnamon Latte
Tap into another cozy fall flavor by using maple syrup instead of sugar in your coffee. If you’re looking for the best maple flavor, look for products labeled “pure maple syrup.” Cheaper syrups are often just corn syrup with maple flavor added in.
Try mixing maple syrup with other flavors too! Maple apple and maple cinnamon are great flavors for a fall morning cup of joe. Whip up your own latte and add a dash of ground cinnamon and a teaspoon or two of maple syrup to taste. Or add in a dash of brown sugar to compliment the maple syrup.
Maple Cinnamon Latte Recipe
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 shots of espresso
- ¾ cup of milk (frothed if preferred)
- Pinch of cinnamon
Mix maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in your mug. Add the brewed espresso to the mug and mix. Next, slowly pour in the milk and add a bit of milk foam on top. Garnish by sprinkling cinnamon on top.
Bewitching Cold Brew
Cold brew coffee is the latest trend in coffee for several reasons. Cold brew coffee has more caffeine and is less acidic than a traditional hot brew. Also, since it’s cold you can serve it over ice without the flavors getting watered down as quickly.
Now, all that said about cold brew, how do you make a brew fit for spooky season? Try these flavors to stir up your own batch of witch’s brew coffee.
Witch’s Cold Brew Latte Recipe
- 1/4 cup medium to dark roast, coarsely ground
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla syrup
- 2 teaspoons butterscotch syrup
- Ice cubes (if desired)
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel Syrup
- Dash of Pumpkin Pie Spice (garnish)
First, prepare your cold brew overnight by adding the coffee grounds, and pumpkin pie spice to the water. Let steep for 8-12 hours. You can use either a French press, a pitcher, or a carafé. The next day, add the butterscotch and vanilla syrups and mix before pouring over ice. Add the milk if desired. Top with whipped cream, caramel syrup, and Halloween sprinkles. Garnish with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice and serve.
And for bonus points, try folding a few drops of black and/or purple food coloring into the whipped cream to make this brew look extra witchy.
What Do I Need to Make Cold Brew Coffee at Home?
Cold brew coffee is fairly easy to make. You can use a French press if you have one, or let your brew steep overnight in any glass, jar, pitcher, or carafe.
Related Product: Bonjour Maximus 8-Cup French Press
Whipped Pumpkin Coffee
Remember the whipped coffee trend from TikTok? Dress it up for Halloween with pumpkin flavor and some other fun ghostly garnishes.
For just one cup of whipped pumpkin coffee, you’ll only need a few ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (or espresso) powder
- 1 tablespoon white or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Extra coffee (3 tablespoons hot water mixed with instant coffee powder)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
Using a hand mixer, mix the instant coffee, sugar, hot water, and pumpkin spice together at high speed until soft peaks form. It should look like a meringue or whipped cream. In your mug, heat 2 tablespoons of water and mix in ¼ – 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, depending on your preference. Add vanilla syrup and stir. Add milk and whipped coffee base and serve.
Some of our favorite handheld mixers for quick recipes like this are:
Easy 1 Serving Caramel Apple Latte
Two fall flavors blend together in this super sweet latte. Embrace the warm amber of rich caramel with fragrant apple notes.
- Half a mug of strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pump apple-flavored syrup
- 2 teaspoons caramel syrup
Make your coffee to your preference. While your coffee is brewing, heat the milk for 30-40 seconds in the microwave, add the syrups, and froth until foamy. Immediately pour your coffee over the foam and serve.
Voila! An easy caramel apple latte!
If you want a more intense apple flavor, substitute the apple syrup for ½ teaspoon of apple butter.
How Do I Froth Milk?
You can use a whisk, an immersion blender, a handheld frother, a home espresso machine, or a dedicated milk frother. Here are a few options we have if you’re looking for an easy way to froth milk at home.
Other Hot Fall Drinks
Now, if you’re not a coffee drinker you can still use these recipes to make your favorite fall beverage feel even cozier.
Autumn Pumpkin Chai Latte
Chai is a spicy warm tea that is perfect for fall. Chai blends use flavors of black tea, ginger, allspice, cardamom, and clove. Of course, chai can be enjoyed year-round, but this time of year is perfect for adding a dash of pumpkin to make it feel more like fall.
This recipe uses sweetened condensed milk to add a rich caramel flavor to the warm chai. That combined with the pumpkin puree blends together and creates a super creamy latte.
Pumpkin Chai Latte Recipe
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1 – 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- ½ – 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice plus more for garnish
Boil the water and let the tea steep for 5-10 minutes. While the tea is steeping, warm the milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and spice in a saucepan medium-low heat. Whisk to combine the ingredients. As the milk begins to simmer, use your whisk or an immersion blender to froth the milk. Once it reaches the desired consistency, remove from heat. Remove the teabag from your cup, add the frothed milk, sprinkle with extra pumpkin spice, and serve.
Autumn Spiced Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is an essential drink during the fall and winter. It’s also super easy to customize for different occasions. It especially pairs well with every spice in pumpkin spice. Try adding these flavor combinations to your next mug of hot cocoa for a cup of coziness.
If you’re adding any spices, use ¼ to ½ teaspoon to taste. If you’re adding syrup, add about 1-2 teaspoons to taste. Remember that hot chocolate mix has its own sugars, so you don’t need to add a lot of syrup to make it sweet.
- Vanilla extract and butterscotch syrup
- Cinnamon and apple syrup
- Maple syrup and nutmeg
- Ground allspice and caramel syrup
If you want to melt your own chocolate for a cup of hot cocoa, try out this cast iron melting pot. Perfect for melting chocolate at home or while you’re out camping.
Dressed Up Apple Cider
Apple cider is another great fall drink. It’s not quite as customizable as coffee or hot chocolate, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change it up! Try adding these flavors to your instant apple cider mix for a delightful apple treat.
- Brown sugar
- Cranberry juice
- Ground ginger
- Hazelnut coffee creamer (for an apple cider latte)
- Wassail (Mulling) spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and orange
Related Post: PUMPKIN SPICE SEASON RECIPES
Coffee-Making Tools for Your Next Brew
Looking to upgrade your coffee-making set-up? Here are a few of our favorite products to help you make the perfect fall-flavored batch of your favorite brew.
Moccamaster Coffee Makers
Our Favorite Home Espresso Makers
AeroPress Coffee Maker
Brew a quick cup of coffee with an easy-to-use AeroPress! If you’ve never used one before, check out this tutorial video from our Instagram.
Shop More Coffee and Kitchen Appliances at Electronic Express
Find great deals on top appliances for any cup of coffee and any recipe. Shop products from great brands like Samsung, Conair, Moccamaster, and many more. Fast free shipping is available throughout the contiguous United States, and you can find our stores throughout Tennessee and in Northern Alabama.